"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Feeling masochistic...

After years of procrastination, waiting for a rumoured (but not yet materialized) reciprocal agreement policy, I have finally embarked on what is sure to be the unmitigated torture of legitimately acquiring my German drivers license (gasp for breath).

Yep, I am about to 'swap' my Aussie one for a Deutsch one.

I must point out that the term 'swap' is a tad misleading as, while in essence, the process has me handing in my Australian one and receiving a bona-fide German one, the steps in between involve (but are not necessarily limited to):

-getting an official translation on the original license (35 euro -thanks very much - for a mere 6 lines and 2 official looking stamps),
-an eye test,
-a local first aid qualification,
-studying 1500 road rules,
-being tested on the road rules,
-having at least one practical driving lesson, and
-taking a practical driving exam,
-enduring German bureaucracy (can you imagine????) at each step.


Remarkably similar to acquiring a driver's license from scratch, I'd say.



I have heard many horror stories about this process and I am not looking forward to it. And I'm more than a tad annoyed at the discrimination involved. After all, AUSTRALIA SWAPS GERMAN ONES!!! If I held a license from, say, the UK or Canada (which could be simply acquired by swapping- as in 'no tests' -just SWAPPING my Aussie one) then I'd have no problem swapping THAT ONE for a German one. There is no logic. Unfortunately, despite many years exploring slightly fraudulent options this route seems closed to me.

A jaded friend who has recently gone through the whole confluted process sent me the following message:

"So you're entering the nether world of the great 'Fueherschein fuer Aussie Auslander' rip-off, ey? I wish you luck, inner calm, and the ability to suspend all notions of fairness and common sense."

As I am not naturally blessed with any of those attributes, I fear the coming weeks might be challenging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck

Trust you do not fail by thinking the car is masculine or somethiong like that.

Lynda said...

Enjoying strolling through your posts. But here is the kicker when it comes to getting a licence here. 20 years ago, I lived here for a mere 18 months. At that time, you could 'exchange' your Australian licence for a German licence so long as it was within 1 year of living here. So I did. Then we came back.. do you think I could find my german licence..well no, of course not. So I rocked up and told them I had lost it. And
they just gave me a new one. All I needed was a photo. So it would seems things have changed and I am glad I got in early. Good Luck!

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas