"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back to school!

Last week, in an attempt to reduce the emerging (and ever growing) chasm between my and the Caspi-Man's ability in the spoken german language, and to overcome my pidgin tendencies, I returned to language school.

For the next two months, for four hours every morning, I will be (once more!) struggling with the nuances and mysteries of German grammar. Well, actually, I do that pretty much everyday, but now I'm doing it, for the first time in 2 years, in a controlled and monitored setting. With tests. Ugh. (Like I wasn't feeling bleak and blah enough as it was!) German grammar does not come easily to me. It's a bit like a forced labour, with forceps and episiotomy, and no epidural. And nothing miraculous to fall in love with at the end.

But on the upside, it does stop me feeling blah and bleak about the mornings I had recently been spending on pretty much pure procrastination...

A friend pointed me in the direction of this site, where you can sign up for sentences delivered daily to your inbox. Here is a selection of last week's offerings:
  • Red' nicht mit mir in diesem Ton, du Wichtigtuer! (Don't talk to me in that tone, you busybody!)
  • Seit er einen seiner Ferraris verkaufen musste, leidet er unter schweren Depressionen. (Since he had to sell one of his ferraris, he suffers from severe depression.)
  • Vertrauen ist gut, Kontrolle ist besser. (Trust is good, control is better.)
  • Wenn sie ihre Regel hat, ist sie immer unausstehlich. (When she has her period she becomes insufferable.)
I am yet to use the 2nd example in its entirety. (However, if you replace the pronoun with "I", and the noun with Career/Homeland/Beloved extended Family, and the verb with leave/abandon/sacrifice, I probably use variations of this on a daily basis...)


No comments:

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas