"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Friday, March 26, 2010

Weddings, rain, and crocuses...

I am attending a wedding today.

And it is raining in a melancholy way.

The guests are all happy, and smiling, and the bride radiant... (she is Australian and carries sunshine in her soul) ... the groom dashing and charming (he is German but was raised in France). The official ceremony took place this morning, and the reception will be this evening.

It is amazing how many Australians end up in Germany because of love.

A few end up here for work. I've heard that a few actually visit for Oktoberfest and in their hangover - actually forget to go home (although they are few and far between and mostly stay down south in Bavaria). But, for most, it is love the brings them here.

I've not actually heard of any that voluntarily choose to end up here. Germany is not like France or Italy. It's a nice place to visit but very few Antipodeans harbor long held dreams of permanently residing here.

And the german language is not pleasurable to learn like french or italian. Very few people voluntarily take evening classes or long european holidays to learn Deutsch. And while I've developed an appreciation of its merits - the german cuisine does not inspire many award winning restaurants or culinary accolades.

The rain is making me melancholy.

And, more than this, for the last few months I've been homesick in a way that is close to paralyzing. There is a black dog that has been residing inside me and he's eaten my sense of humour, my hopefulness, my motivation, my ability to appreciate all that I do have, and my german grammatical homework.

But tonight I will muzzle him, put him on a leash, and dance and rejoice in someone else's cross-cultural love and try to ignore how it will inevitably demand a life-time of being on conflicting timezones with family and loved-ones, missing significant birthdays (and birth days), no popping in for casual week-end barbies, and lots of expensive international travel.









woof. woof. woof.

8 comments:

Helen said...

Hi there pyjamamel,

I hope you danced the night away. I do love a good wedding.

As for the melancholy - I understand, oh yes indeed I do.

Anonymous said...

The crocuses look lovely. I'm sure once the sun is shining and the weather warms up, things may seem a lot brighter.

Curious about the woof woof woof though.

Anonymous said...

The crocuses look lovely. I'm sure once the sun is shining and the weather warms up, things may seem a lot brighter.

Curious about the woof woof woof though.

Lynda said...

The black dog stopped off in my house too.. it was dreadful, but seems to have passed now. Each little daffodil that pokes through makes me feel a bit brighter. The homesickness can just take your breath away somedays.

I had to move blog-home, you can find me here now:
http://lulusbay.wordpress.com

Cheers
L

Can't remember if you are Sydney girl - but I recently read Salvation Creek by Susan Duncan(I could hear the cicada's and smell the air filled with gum trees) great read.

pyjamamel said...

Oh helen, yes I did indeed boogie well into the small wee hours (and on Saturday I paid for it!) I also adore weddings! Hope things are going ok for you.

Anon, I thought you were mum, but then figured she'd know about about the woof woof! (It's a black dog thing.)

Tamz, I'm surprised?! Green juice is bad - but shooting good? Can't I just tame him and perhaps he'd be good company for Olli? On second thoughts - bring the gun! Am so looking forward to your visit, hon. 8 weeks and counting!

Lynda, am so glad that the Black Dog seems to have passed you by... yes, spring certainly helps! Consider myself a brissie girl - but have strong links to Sydney... will have a look out for the book (always looking for a good read!)

Anonymous said...

some dogs just should be left at the pound xxx

darlink sister

Anonymous said...

I loved your metaphor about the black dog!! Hope I don't meet him any time soon!!
I definetely need that sense of humor and approach in my life.
Moved to Dusseldorf about a week ago. My husband is also German!!! Because of love I married him, we moved here because we had no choice.

Would love to meet you!! Before I start thinking what am I doing here?? We moved from warm Sao Paulo...
My email: menina99@hotmail.com

cheers,
Sofia

pyjamamel said...

hiya Sofia, wish I could claim credit for the black dog metaphor - as it is a great one isn' it? - but it was Winston Churchill who came up with it. Welcome to Düsseldorf ... and to the joy of marrying germans! (One day O'll post about that!) Both CAN be wonderful... sometimes ;-)... The weather certainly takes some getting used to for those of us from warmer climates...

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas