"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Saturday, April 5, 2008

weather frogging

Ugh...have you seen the German weather forecast for the next 5 days?

I'm not one who usually follows such things (preferring to be surprised), and usually I don't need to as my "Schwierig-mutter" usually phones under the pretence of advising us of all things meteorological. Reminders to wear scarves, carry umbrellas, ensure the Caspi-Man has shoes on and the like. (If the weather fails then up-coming transport strikes always provide a good excuse for a call. Lately she's been calling a lot.)

But as we are actually planning a short break next weekend - meeting the Caspi-Man's Patenonkel (Godfather) & partner at the Baltic Sea- I have been taking an active interest in the long-range forecasts. And after last week's glimmer of spring, I'd been anticipating some fine warm days to compliment our beach break (and make the holiday snaps look good).

I am dismayed (truly despondent) to learn, however, that instead of inching up to the high twenties, winter seems to be returning. Dusseldorf's current prediction for tomorrow is 4 degrees and schneeregen!

I'm beginning to fear this year is gonna be like 2006... I really hope it won't be - but it is not looking hopeful. Below is an email I sent out to all and sundry back then. Proof that this obsession with the weather is not new. (Am beginning to suspect I may have some British blood somewhere in my lineage.)
__________________________________________________

From: pyjamamel
Sent: Thursday, 1st June, 2006 09:37:12 am
To: Absolutely everybody in my address book
Subject: What Global Warming?


Dear family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, and that person I met briefly in Dubai airport in 2004,

I am absolutely flabbergasted (yes, really). So much so that I just have to share it...

Here I was believing the world was getting warmer but here in Deutschland there is scant evidence. Tomorrow is officially the first true day of summer. Now I freely admit that just 3 weeks ago we had 10 days of glorious sunshine and temperatures of around 25 degrees - but since then it has been gloomy and frankly, quite chilly.

And on the weather tonight I saw that they're predicting SNOW tomorrow in Frankfurt (a mere 200kms or so south of us). Yes: SNOW. IN JUNE. (Will The Caspi-Man ever get to utilise his funky togs and hip baby sunglasses?)

Something is happening with the weather, to be sure, but it certainly doesn't seem to be warming.

Yours in a winter coat for the 10th month running,

Pajamamel

No comments:

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas