"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Monday, August 4, 2008

A random question that the Caspi-Man's obviously been pondering:

The Caspi-Man and I were just sitting having dinner together, after a longer than average "looong" day (and that's an euphemism) , when, out of the blue, he piped up with:

"Mama, where do people come from?"

"What do you mean, Caspi-Man, by 'where do people come from'?"

(Ok, I know that's a cop-out -but it really has been a long day...)

"I mean, where do people COME FROM? Do you buy them in a shop?"

"Um, no. Hold on a sec Caspi-man, Mummy just needs to go top up her drink...."

(AAArrgghhh....why does he seem to only ask these things when the Ger-Man's not here? Aren't we both suppose to be scaling these parenting mountains together? And godammit - haven't a dozen responses to that question just popped into my mind -none of which are appropriate to share with the Caspi-Man! )

Wine now in hand, (personally, after the day we've just had - I'm feeling proud it's not the gin or vodka - but I suppose I'm saving those for when the truly challenging questions come....):

"Well, Caspi-Man... people make people."

Of course, inevitably, this begins a long question and answer session, detailing which specific people were made by exactly which specific people in our immediate family/friend/acquaintance network - and then - I managed to craftily distract him with early evening Kinder-TV ( just before he thought of asking HOW people make people).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heee haaaa, every mother's (or should I say grandmother's) delight! Careful how you respond at times like this - he might never forgive you or forget!

Anonymous said...

hehee i recall when i was in primary school, asking my mother what "climax" meant (in the context of a "people" conversation).
my mum, ever the diplomat, responded with, "ahh..it's when a woman is at her best".
and she was probably right!!!
m. propism

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas