"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Try-lingual?

On Wednesday afternoons (well, the last 9 anyway) I have been teaching English to the children at The Caspi-Man's kindergarten.

I am impressed (and more than a tad jealous) at their ability to remember things from week to week. (It takes months for a new German word to reliably enter my vocabulary - and usually I loose two english words to make room for it.)

They already know all the words to Old Macdonald's Farm, Wheels on the Bus, and the "hello song" swiped from Playschool. They can count to twenty, recite the "English ABC", and name body parts (most notably: head, shoulders, knees and toes).

The Caspi-Man declines to participate in this weekly "Mama Sprache" session, but, has been long aware that there is a "Mama Sprache" (English) and a "Papa Sprache" (Deutsch). All has been going well, he speaks mostly english at home, and (I am told) mostly german at Kindergarten.

Recently came this exchange while the two of us were on the way home :

CM- I am müde!
Me- Tired. In Mama sprache - you're tired. "Müde" is Papa Sprache.
CM- And what am I in "Caspi-Sprache"?
Me- ("Caspi-Sprache"?? Huh?)
I don't know - what are you in Caspi-Sprache?
CM- (pause... deep thought...head scratching) SLEEPY!!!!!

But I somehow suspect, that for a long time to come, "Caspi Sprache" will be Denglish...


No comments:

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas